LAHORE: Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed on Thursday lashed out at PML-N vice-president Maryam Nawaz, saying opposition leaders should avoid “irresponsible statements” against state institutions.
The minister’s statement came in response to Maryam’s allegations against former DG ISI Faiz Hameed in his recent petition filed in the Islamabad High Court.
“Individuals represent institutions,” Rashid said. “You don’t become a corps commander without performing duties in harsh areas like mountains and deserts,” he added.
Reacting to former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s earlier statement on reconciliation with PML-N opponents to uphold the rule of law in the country, Rashid said “the plane has departed”.
Talking about the NAB Ordinance approved by the Prime Minister, Rashid said it was “a legal step taken to address the objections raised by the people and the business community”. He said it was a “reckoning” by the government, reiterating that it had been raised for the convenience of the people.
When asked why he was not told about the government’s talks with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), Rashid said it was Pakistan’s wish that Afghanistan’s territory not be used for subversive activities.
To the best of my knowledge, there has been no discussion yet. [between the government and the TTP]”It simply came to our notice then.
Talking about the 2023 general elections, Rashid said that the government has only two years left in its constitutional term, adding that she plans to spend six months of her rule in the election campaign.
However, he predicted that a new line-up between the PPP and the PML-N would emerge for the next elections.
I am Imran Khan’s partner, I have come with him and I will go with him.
In response to a question, Rashid said that it had been proved that India had a hand in New Zealand’s last minute return from Pakistan. “I am telling you this after full confirmation. The security personnel we deployed for the New Zealand team were outnumbered by their troops.”
He said 8,000 security personnel were deployed to keep the New Zealand team safe. [New Zealand Army] There are only 7,800 in number. “