Diabetes means high glucose level in blood.It Cannot be cure but you can control it by applying healthy eating habits.
Diabetes can be control by choosing a healthy eating plan. The eating guidelines for diabetic patient which includes
- Diabetics are recommended to consume food rich in dietary fiber. These are fruits, vegetables, whole cereals products and whole beans. ‘For chapatti’ making, whole wheat flour supplemented with about 10% to 20% Gram flour (bean) is suggested, this blend is also useful for children.
- Vegetable must occupy the large portion of your plate. About half of your plate fill with vegetables or salad.
- Foods such as butter, cream, cakes, pastries, fried foods and should be avoided. Milk meat chicken eggs should be consumed for normal nutrition
- Saturated fats such as coconut oil or palm oil must be avoided. Choose healthy fats such as olive oil, canola oil and sunflower oil. Fish, avocado, seed and nuts oil also recommended.
- Choose low fat dairy products e.g skim milk, yogurt.
- Protein should account for 20% of the calories. Consume lean meat as it is a rich source of protein.
- If a person is obese as well, than low caloric diet should be consumed.
- Prefer homemade dishes besides going restaurant or order food. Homemade foods are always healthy choice.
- Limit fast foods or ready to eat foods, choose fresh foods as they are rich source of vitamins and antioxidants.
- Must consume oily fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, or tuna 2-3 times a week.
- Table sugar should be replaced with raw sugar, ‘shakkar’ or ‘Guru’.
- Consume three meals day. However, the number of meals may be increased provided the total intake is not disturbed.
- Use herbs and spices such as cinnamon, turmeric powder or coriander seeds to flavor your food instead of adding artificial sweeteners or flavors.
- Avoided candies, soft drinks, lollies, chocolates and especially alcoholic drinks strictly.