Children are being abused in many parts of the world so it is the most common problem. Sexually abused children and adolescents are at a greater risk for developing a mental disorder. This article deals with the reasons, diagnosis and treatment of a psychiatric disorder “PEDOPHILIA”. This disorder is often considered as a side issue as compared to other disorders. A pedophilic disorder is recognized for “its impairment to individual and harm it may cause to others”. But now with the advancement in technology together with neuropsychological studies, we are increasing our knowledge, about what paedophilia actually is.
It is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult has sexual fantasies about or engaged in sexual acts with a prepubescent child and a category of sexual deviation characterized by sexual interest towards children below 13. In the light of emotionally disturbing situation related to child abuse, many experts have shown their concern on the level of sexual behaviour rather than defining their causes for that behaviour in an appropriate manner. Well, I do not think it is right. Here arises a very important question…
Are they all paedophiles who abuse children? The answer to this question is a big NO. Not all who abuse children are paedophiles. There are two types of people who abuse children. First: Those who abuse children with no sexual preference disorder, they may be sexually inexperienced adolescents or perpetrators. Second: Those individuals who have sexual preference disorder, the second kind of individuals are diagnosed with pedophilic DISORDER and not every pedophilic has abused children they are around 50% of the total. Pedophilic further are of two types. Exclusive paedophiles also known as preferential paedophiles, they prefer children. Non-exclusive paedophiles also known as non-preferential paedophiles, they prefer adults or teenagers.
Why paedophiles abuse a child? Pedophilia is linked with previous emotional physical or sexual trauma. This trauma results in underdevelopment and this underdevelopment will not allow a person to mature emotionally. Researches have shown that many of the paedophiles are themselves abused during their childhood so a paedophile is the emotional equivalent of a child, depends on them and begins to view them as a sexual object.
How a child can be accessed by a paedophile? I don’t think it’s a difficult question. In most cases, about 60% to 70 % involving paedophiles perpetrator already knows the child. On the other hand a stranger to the child my commit violent assault against children. As we all know the internet has changed our lives, the way we work, play or live. I believe the internet proves to be a great helping hand for paedophiles. Of particular paedophiles, they Groom children, building a relationship, trust and emotional connection with the targeted child in order to exploit and abuse them.
There is no evidence that paedophilia can be cured. Instead, most therapies focus on helping the paedophile refrain from acting on their desires. Some therapies do attempt to cure paedophilia, but there are no studies showing that they result in a long-term change in sexual preference. Paedophilia appears to be difficult to alter but paedophiles can be helped to control their behaviour, and future research could develop a method of prevention.
- COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL TREATMENT (CBT) aims to reduce attitudes, beliefs, and behaviours that may increase the likelihood of sexual offences against children. Its content varies widely between therapists, but a typical program might involve training in self-control, social competence and empathy, and use cognitive restructuring to change views on sex with children. The most common form of this therapy is relapse prevention, where the patient is taught to identify and respond to potentially risky situations based on principles used for treating addictions.
- AVERSIVE CONDITIONING is a behavioural method directed at associating pedophilic desire with an unpleasant sensation.
- SEX DRIVE REDUCTION: Pharmacological interventions are used to lower the sex drive in general, which can ease the management of pedophilic feelings, but does not change sexual preference. Anti-androgens work by interfering with the activity of testosterone. Cyproterone acetate (Androcur) and medroxyprogesterone acetate (Depo-Provera) are the most commonly used. The efficacy of anti-androgens has some support, but few high-quality studies exist. Cyproterone acetate has the strongest evidence for reducing sexual arousal, while findings on medroxyprogesterone acetate have been mixed.
Child abuse cases are increasing day by day. In a day almost 20 cases are being reported, Approximately 5 children die every day due to child abuse. One of the most highlighted child abuse case, the rape and murder of 6-year-old girl Zainab Ansari. The case was reported on November 12, 2019. The poor little was brutally raped and killed by Sohail Ayaz, who was a serial paedophile, child rapist and registered sex offender for the drugging and rape of a 13-year-old. He was also deported to Pakistan by the UK government for being involved in multiple child abuse cases. He was a chartered accountant by his profession, was hired as a consultant by the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) government in 2017
THIS IS NOT THE ONLY CASE. ARE WE ALL REALLY DOING SOMETHING FOR THESE CHILDREN? NO, WE ARE NOT. WE NEED TO BE MORE CONCERNED.
Paedophilia cannot be cured but can be controlled using the above-mentioned treatment. By following the laws this situation can be controlled.
- [8:46 PM, 4/20/2020] Saman: The link between child abuse and psychopathology: a review of neurobiological and genetic research
- Eamon McCrory, Stephane A De Brito, Essi Viding
- Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 105 (4), 151-156, 2012
- [8:46 PM, 4/20/2020] Saman: Ten-year research update review: Child sexual abuse
- Frank W Putnam
- Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 42 (3), 269-278, 2003
- [8:46 PM, 4/20/2020] Saman: Child abuse by burning: a review of the literature and an algorithm for medical investigations
- Michael D Peck, Diane Priolo–Kapel
- Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 53 (5), 1013-1022, 2002
Submitted by “Saman Naeem”