Lithium tritelluride is an intercalary compound of lithium and tellurium with empirical system LiTe
3. It’s one in all 3 recognized individuals of the Li-Te machine, the others being the uncooked metals and lithium telluride (Li
LiTe3 used to be first found out in 1969 by means of researchers at america Atomic Power Fee. Analysis into the compound has been essentially pushed by means of the potential for the usage of molten tellurium salts to chill a nuclear reactor.
Lithium tritelluride can also be synthesized by means of heating a mix of the fitting stoichiometry. It’s volatile beneath 304 ° C; if left beneath that temperature, it is going to decompose, liberating tellurium vapor.
Structurally, lithium tritelluride consists of graphene-like planes of tellurium, organized in parallel with atoms aligned to shape “vertical” columns of tellurium; the lithium ions then shape columns working during the middle of each and every tellurium hexagon.
- Foster, M. S.; Johnson, C. E.; Davis, Ok. A.; Peck, J.; Schablaske, R. (1969). (Technical file). USAEC. p. 141. ANL-7575. , as cited in Valentine, Cavin & Yakel 1977.
- Hitch, B. F.; Toth, L. M.; Brynestad, J. (1978). “The Decomposition Equilibrium of LiTe3“. J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem. Nice Britain: Pergamon Press. 40: 31–34. doi:10.1016/0022-1902(78)80301-7 – by way of Elsevier ScienceDirect. See additionally Cunningham, P. T.; Johnson, S. A.; Cairns, E. J. (March 1973). “Section Equilibria in Chalcogen Techniques III: Lithium-Tellurium”. J. Electrochem. Soc. The Electrochemical Society. 120: 328.
- Sangster, J.; Pelton, A. D. (1992). “The Li-Te (Lithium-Tellurium) Device”. Phase II: Section Diagram Opinions. Magazine of Section Equilibria. Springer. 13 (3): 300–303. doi:10.1007/BF02667559.
- Valentine, Diane Y.; Cavin, O. Burl; Yakel, Harry L. (1977). “At the Crystal Construction of LiTe3“. Acta Cryst. Wiley. B33: 1389–1396. doi:10.1107/S0567740877006141.