The Maritime Development, first of all referred to as the Union Insurance coverage Society of Canton Development, or just the Union Development, was once a development positioned alongside the waterfront of the Singapore River in Collyer Quay.
The development was once seven storeys tall and had a basement. The development had 3 lifts. The frontage of the development was once designed within the taste of English renaissance, and comprised a row of arches at the development’s floor flooring, colonnades on 3 flooring, and a decorative cornice projecting seven ft. The development featured a flat roof. A 60 toes tower surmounted the centre of the development.
The doorway corridor of the development was once huge and spacious. The doorway door was once 15 toes top and was once product of bronze. Each the flooring and the partitions of the development have been product of various kinds of marble, and the ceiling was once embellished with mosaics. The bottom flooring was once product of dressed granite, which was once on most sensible of synthetic granite. A couple of bronze lamps frolicked of the doorway of the development.
The proposal for a brand new development in Collyer Quay was once made by way of the Union Insurance coverage Society of Canton in February 1922. Architectural company Swan and MacLaren have been commissioned to design the development. The development was once to be constructed on website online of the previous place of work development of Boustead & Co., which lasted from 1866 to December 1921, when the land was once offered to the Union Insurance coverage Society of Canton. Building of the development commenced in Would possibly 1922 and led to 1924, costing $1,125,000. The architect of the development was once Irish architect Denis Santry of Swan and MacLaren. The reliable opening rite of the development was once hung on 26 September 1925 at midday. The development was once utilized by British Data Products and services in 1963.
The development was once offered to Island Funding and Company Company in 1964. The development was once renamed as Maritime Development by way of the Island Funding and Company Company in January 1965. Tenants of the development at the moment incorporated Boustead & Co., the A ways East Delivery Corporate, Ben Line Steamers, Fraser and Corporate, Peat Marwick and Mitchell, and Suckling and McDonald.
A suggestion to demolish the development was once made in 1980. Boustead & Co. moved out of the development in 1981. The Maritime development was once demolished in 1982, and the previous website online of the development was once offered to the Orient In another country Container Line. The development was once changed by way of the Tung Centre.