POVERTY is a state or condition in which a person or community lacks the financial resources and essentials for a minimum standard of living. Poverty means that the income level from employment is so low that the basic human needs can’t be met. Poverty is generally caused by a sudden crisis or loss and is often temporary.
As per the latest poverty estimates, 24% of Pakistan’s population lives, below the national poverty line which includes 31%im rural areas and 13% in urban areas.
In Pakistan poverty is a growing concern. So What’s the reason behind poverty and who is responsible for it and how we can overcome poverty in future?
MAIN CAUSES OF POVERTY::
LACK OF EDUCATION:-
About half of Pakistanis population is illiterate and 7.26million children are not going to school due to poverty. Pakistan spends the lowest GDP on education in South Asian countries. This lack of spending is affecting the nation’s school system badly. Without education and job skills training, young people cannot adopt the skills needed for employment. That’s why people cannot get a good job they remain unemployed and do not have the opportunity to rise out of poverty.
The reason for poverty is the rapidly growing population. Population-wise Pakistan is the 6th largest country in the world. Its population growth rate is 1.8%, which is the highest growth rate and Pakistan’s GDP growth rate is less than 3%. So in this era of increasing population and low GDP rate, there is a complete shortage of food, clothing, housing facilities, education and health issues. These things are so inadequate to meet the basic necessities of a growing population. These are more hands to spend than to earn. Due to the high level of demand and very less production, there is general poverty in Pakistan and it is increasing day by day.
UNFAIR DISTRIBUTION OF INCOME:-
Unfair distribution of income is the main cause of poverty. Due to unfair distribution poor are becoming poorer and rich becoming richer. Unequal distribution of income is creating restlessness among low-income people. Poor people have less money to fulfill basic needs of life
- Poor governance is also responsible for poverty. People use the wrong way to get money. Law and order conditions are out of control and institutions are failed to provide justice to a common man. Justice can be brought by money only. In this whole scenario, some corrupt people have been occupying the properties and the common man is living in miserable conditions
- Such things are hurting the public confidence and in this way, they take less interest in different economics activities
EFFECTS OF POVERTY:-
- POVERTY is both a cause and a consequence of poor health. Poverty increases the chances of pour health, in turn, traps communities in poverty. Infectious diseases kill and weaken millions of the poorest and most vulnerable people every year
- Most common effect of poverty is malnutrition and this effect is particularly seen in the children of poor families. People living in poor families have no access to highly nutritious foods.
- Healthiest foods are usually the most expensive and poor people can’t afford and in this way, they can’t feed their children in a happier or healthiest way. These type of things affects the minds of both the children and parents badly
- Psychological research has demonstrated that living in poverty has a wide range of negative effects on physical and mental health and well-being of our nation’s children. Poverty impacts children within their various contexts at home, in school and in their neighbourhood and communities.
- Street crime is also the ultimate effect of poverty in Pakistan.
- According to a survey, most of the men violence on their wives for income purpose. They force their women family members to earn something even by selling their bodies.
- Masculinity, unemployment and many other factors combine to increase suicide risk.
- By observing the above factors we can easily understand that overall effect of poverty in Pakistan society is that we are living a Sub-Standard life.
The rulers of Pakistan must discard their lavish way of living. They must be one with their people; they must lead a life of a common and hardworking person. This will go a long way to bride over the disparity between a rich and poor person. The population explosion must be controlled. People should be educated and guided to produce small number of children. More industries, mills and factories should be set up to provide jobs to the workers and small farmers.
POVERTY can be stopped by,
- Take action on your own.
- eliminate gender inequality.
- increase access to proper sanitation and clean water.
- educate everyone.
- Above are a few solutions about how to stop poverty but first, it is important to understand the roots of problems that cause poverty.
A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. — Proverbs 11:25
Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honours God. — Proverbs 14:31
“I have the right to do anything,” you say — but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything” — but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. — 1 Corinthians 10: 23-24
If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need. — Deuteronomy
Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime. It is not natural it is man-made and can be reduced by justice and quality education because the best way to end poverty is to empower people through the access to quality education. Moreover, if we can’t feed the people but at least we have to fund a war against this cause because it’s time to restore humanity.
Submitted By “Sana Shehzadi”