The Shell Area, later referred to as the Singapore Rubber Area, was once a skyscraper in Collyer Quay, Singapore. It was once formally opened in 1960 because the Singapore headquarters of Shell plc. On the time of the development’s crowning glory, it was once the fourth tallest development in Singapore, emerging over 190 toes above flooring degree.
The development had 15 storeys and rose over 190 toes above flooring degree, making it the fourth tallest development in Singapore on the time of its opening. The development additionally incorporated a theatrette within the basement which might accommodate 100 other folks. The development was once air-conditioned, and had 3 letter lifts, 17 passenger lifts, 4 top velocity lifts, a waste paper chute, and an automated phone change machine.
Plans for the development of the development had been submitted to the native government in September 1954. Via November, Singapore Growth Believe, had now not licensed the development of the development. Architectural company Swan and MacLaren had been commissioned to design the development. The development of the Shell Area value over $7 million and lasted 4 years, having begun on the finish of 1955. The inner decor of the development was once designed via English architect Jane Drew on her 3rd consult with to Singapore. The development was once formally opened on the finish of March 1960, because the native headquarters of Shell plc. Each the flag of Singapore and the flag of Shell had been unfurled on most sensible of the development on 29 March 1960.
Plans to demolish the development to make manner for a more recent development had been first introduced in December 1973. The brand new development could be evolved with every other spouse. In 1976, the development was once offered to the Rubber Affiliation of Singapore for $7.1 million. The development turned into the headquarters of the affiliation and was once renamed the Singapore Rubber Area. In 1978, the 8th, 9th, and 11th flooring underwent a $2 million renovations.
The Rubber Affiliation of Singapore put the build up on the market for $20 million in December 1986. The development was once bought via Savu Investments Pte Ltd for $33.1 million in 1987, paying a $3.3 million deposit. Each the Singapore Rubber Area and the Winchester Area had been demolished following the closure of Trade Alley.