William Osmond (1791–1875) was once an English sculptor and mason and primarily based in Salisbury.
Consistent with his tomb he was once now not simplest mason but in addition a lay preacher in Salisbury Cathedral.
He was once born on 17 August 1790 the son of Thomas Osmond (1752-1833) and his spouse Elizabeth (Betty) Kellow (1755-1841). He was once indentured to William Croome of Fisherton Anger (now a suburb of Salisbury).
Little is understood of his early existence however he was once appointed legitimate mason to Salisbury Cathedral in 1818 on the age of 27 using twelve males and one boy. His first position was once growing new pinnacles for the tower of the church which was once finished in 1820. In 1843 he made “columns and capitals” for the south stroll throughout the cloisters.
He befriended Augustus Pugin and followed his gothic taste. In 1826 he moved along with his massive circle of relatives to “The Priory” on Brown Side road in Salisbury.
He died on 10 July 1875 at house at 113 Exeter Side road in Salisbury, a 3 storey mid-terraced townhouse. He’s buried within the Cloister Inexperienced of Salisbury Cathedral with a memorial within the transept sculpted via his son.
- Slate sundial for Thruxton Church (1820)
- Monument to the philanthropist Sarah Hayter in Salisbury Cathedral (1822)
- Memorial to the Lengthy circle of relatives, St Thomas Church in Salisbury (1824)
- Monument to John Lampard at Barford St Martin (1824)
- Monument to Thomas King in Alvediston (1825)
- Monument to John Jacob in Salisbury Cathedral (1828)
- Monument to Bishop John Fisher in Salisbury Cathedral (1828)
- Monument to Anne Kennicott in Windsor Parish Church (1830)
- Monument to Henry Eyre in Winchester Cathedral (1830)
- Monument to Rev James Shuckburgh in Downton, Wiltshire (1833)
- Monument to Rev Daniel Williams at Woolston, Hampshire (1833)
- Monument to Girl Miles at Yateley (1834)
- Monument to William Locke at Seend (1835)
- Monument to Bishop John Hume in Salisbury Cathedral (1835)
- Monument to Wadham Wyndham in Salisbury Cathedral (1835)
- Monument to Rev Robert Hawes in St Edmund Church in Salisbury (1838)
- Monument to Earl Nelson at Standlynch (1839)
- Monument to Henry Hinxman in Salisbury Cathedral (1841)
- Monument to Henrietta Thornycroft at Bodenham (1844)
- Monument to James Cobb in Salisbury Cathedral (1858)
He was once married to Charity Marsh (1799-1851). That they had no less than 16 youngsters.
His son William Osmond (1821-1890) was once additionally a mason and sculptor.